I went to Advance Auto Parts in Rockaway NJ recently for oil, oil filter and air filter supplies. I hadn't been there for close to a year due to distance from my home.

In the past I remembered they had a good selection of everyday supplies out on the shelves and available cross reference books hanging near highly consumable items. I decided to take a ride expecting everything was probably close to what I remembered my experiences to be. Walking into the store I immediately noticed there was considerably less self service shelving and a much larger store employee only stock room. Filter selections were reduced to one or two brands of filters.

Those brands, IMO , were not the top performing brands I had always used. There were no compatibility booklets to cross reference the brands and find correct product numbers for individual applications. I went to the front cashier location and a female employee who was visibly over stressed, with trying to locate different parts not on display, told me that all cross reference guides had been taken off display because management wanted every customer to be escorted with a store employee to the correct area and product they were looking for and suggest other companion parts that go along with those customers came into the store to purchase. Hello there, how about the customers waiting in line while the inexperienced clerk struggles to find part numbers.

To top it off the parts clerk was unsure of the part number for a 2001 5.7 liter Pontiac LS1 8 cylinder motor and had to get someone buried in the back room to verify her pick. At that point she took a piece of scrap paper, wrote down the product number and told me to find it back on the shelf and it should be the last one in stock if their computer records were correct. I found it, paid and before leaving asked her who the genius was that thought this was a good move to improve customer sales. I could tell from her facial expression that she had most likely heard this comment before.

Pep Boys, NAPA, independents etc, you have nothing to worry about.

Advance is doing everything in their power to keep you all in business.

They are creating an over managed *** shoot to stay in business. A shame for the previous loyal customers.

Product or Service Mentioned: Advance Auto Parts Customer Care.

I liked: Close to my house.

I didn't like: Customer experience, Attitude and lack of product knowledge from clerk stacey.

Comments

I agree with everything you say EXCEPT for the part "Customer experience, Attitude and lack of product knowledge from clerk stacey." Yep their upper management has no idea concerning autoparts and customer interaction at places like this. Heck if I am not mistaken the Advance CEO is from Frito Lay and I know the local District Manager that has control over the store that i have my account at was a manager at CVS in the beauty section.

But to condemn the worker who is most likely new and not getting the proper training due to upper mgmt not wanting to spend the money is wrong. Its a low paying retail sales job that she is most likely doing the best she can in the environment that she is working in.

to mechanic #1624656

Agree with the above comment